Hi Y’all! Wow, my first website. That sounds like a children’s book, “Baby’s First Website”, haha. Actually…
Hold on for a moment and let me just write that down- ah, done!
Now back to you learning more about me and hopefully me learning a little something about you too!
Top Eight Things to Know About Me:
- I’m from Atlanta, GA. To be more specific I grew up in College Park and East Point, GA surrounded by my siblings and cousins. While I will always love how vibrant my home community is, it’s changing quite a bit. I just hope some things never change, like the sounds and smells at the DeKalb Farmers’ Market and food at my favorite wings spot off of Highway 29!
- I write children’s books and my favorite genre is picture books. My first picture book,Hands Up! was published in 2019 by Dial Books for Young Readers and I have a few more on the way.
- Growing up I dreamed of being a combo archaeologist/lawyer. I would make huge historical finds and then use my law degree to protect the artifacts that I found. My friends who are attorneys now tell me that’s not exactly how it works¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Soooo, I am not a lawyer, but there’s still time.
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor, The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas and Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson are three of my favorite books. I also reread A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L’Engle every year on my birthday which is probably number one in my top 5 fav books period. I’m grateful to be alive during a time when Ava DuVernay’s interpretation exists, if you haven’t seen it, what are you waiting for?! Never thought I’d see #AMegLikeMe !
- Traveling is one of my favorite things to do but vacations kind of stress me out. I always feel like I should be working on a project, reading for my research or doing something that helps build my writing and academic goals BUT when I finally do relax, I’m always excited to try new activities and foods. Adventure is my middle name…Not really, but it should be.
6. Opera is amazing, and a great moment in the history of Bre was feeling goosebumps raise on my arms as Morris Robinson sang out the first line of “Bess You Is My Woman Now” during a concert at Spelman College. My face was WET with tears, it was so incredibly beautiful.
7. The huge amount of concentrated love in the circle of exceptional black women and girls that surround me is magical. I’m blessed by their love, support and prayers.
8. I’m a proud alumna of Simmons University (MA Children’s Literature) and in 2017 one of my biggest dreams came true when I accepted a full scholarship to attend the University of Cambridge for my PhD. Go big or go home y’all!
Find Out More!
What’s happening in Bre’s World? Click below to find out!
Questions? Comments? Jokes that will crack Bre up? Contact her here with anything you’ve got, she cannot wait to hear from you! Contact Bre